The Wales Arts International forum, is a gathering of leading international arts organisations and practitioners in Wales who want to feed into the strategic direction of Wales Arts International. The first International forum in 2008 was the basis for Wales Arts International’s Five year strategy – Creating 2013.
The second forum held in Theatr Mwldan, Cardigan in November 2010 was a chance to reflect on some key issues as we look ahead towards 2020 including:
• What is the value of international working?
• Growing international engagement for the arts in Wales, surviving the now and moving beyond the current climate?
• How will artists in Wales engage with the international creative economy?
• Do the arts in Wales exploit the new digital age to maximise international opportunities for the arts in Wales?
• What is the role of artists in developing cultural relations and an international ambition and profile for Wales?
The third forum was held in Mostyn, Llandudno in March 2013, titled Excellence and Connectivity in the Arts in Wales. The day took shape around the topics of invited speakers including:
- The Storyteller, A tale of an artist from Wales in 2018, Jon Gower;
- Telling Our Stories to the World, Tom Beardshaw & Carl Morris (Native HQ), Arwel Griffiths (Theatr Genedlaethol Cymru).
There was also an opportunity to feed in to discussions around the purpose of WAI and bringing it to life, WAI priorities in the coming years, and to share stories from the attending delegates leading up to 2018.