Wales is the featured international partner at Showcase Scotland in January 2022. Applications are invited from performers in Wales who are ready to showcase their music and develop UK and international audiences. Showcase Scotland, in partnership with Celtic Connections Festival in Glasgow, is a unique opportunity to showcase Wales’ diverse music culture, as well as a chance for musicians and their management teams to network with international music industry professionals and musicians from around the world.
The closing date for applications is 31st May 2021
What is Showcase Scotland?
Showcase Scotland is a five-day showcase and international music trade event featuring talent from Scotland plus an annual international partner. Showcase Scotland is the largest international music industry event in Scotland and attracts bookers, festivals promoters, event organisers, agents and music industry professionals from around the world. Showcase Scotland takes place annually during the Celtic Connections Festival.
Celtic Connections is a major annual folk, roots and world music festival that celebrates Celtic music and its connections to cultures around the world, held in venues across Glasgow during January.
Showcase Scotland delegates have access to all showcase performances, reception events and a trade fair, providing opportunities to connect with international music industry professionals and artists.
The performances at Showcase Scotland are also part of the Celtic Connections Festival and as such, are programmed by Celtic Connections’ Artistic Director.
Is Showcase Scotland for me/my band?
This is a valuable opportunity to showcase your music to leading music industry professionals including festival bookers, venues and agents from around the world, interested in folk, roots and world music that celebrates Celtic music and its connections to cultures across the globe. Whilst Celtic Connections and Showcase Scotland’s focus is on contemporary folk and traditional music genres, we’re keen to hear from a wide range of artists and living traditions, especially:
- artists from Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic backgrounds
- disabled artists or those with illnesses (mental or physical)
- artists from economically disadvantaged communities
- artists working in the Welsh language
We are also interested in innovative cross-genre collaborations.
What’s the selection process?
Applications received by the closing date will be considered by a panel of industry professionals and advisors from a wide range of communities and professional backgrounds. The names of the panel members will be available once they are confirmed. The panel will assess each application against the criteria and will finalise a shortlist of around 12 acts. This shortlist will be submitted to the Artistic Director of Celtic Connections who will then select a number of acts (around 6, with some flexibility) to appear, as showcase performances.
What do the successful artists get?
The successful artists will have a paid performance at Celtic Connections and will also perform at a Wales showcase event specifically for the music industry delegates attending Showcase Scotland.
There’s a range of networking opportunities throughout the showcase days with industry professionals and other artists.
Travel, accommodation and per diems will be provided. We will also consider access costs and childcare costs if these are barriers to selected artists taking part.
The music sector in Wales is working together to create a development programme for the shortlisted artists, so even if you are not selected for the showcase itself, there may be a range of other training and mentoring opportunities for you to develop your practice, which will be provided in collaboration with our partners.
- You must have a main address in Wales.
- Your music should demonstrate a connection to Wales.
- You will need to tell us why you think your music is appropriate for Celtic Connections’ artistic programme.
- You should provide clear rationale for applying and demonstrate the relevance to your career development.
- You will need to demonstrate a strong track record and an existing audience for your music through recordings, performances, social media, music downloads, reviews of recorded work and performances, video footage etc.
- You should demonstrate how you will maximise the opportunities that Showcase Scotland offers, for example, through your social media presence, promotional product for the event, availability of an Electronic Press Kit (EPK) or live video footage.
- You may be expected to undertake press interviews and photoshoots as required for the Wales at Showcase Scotland project.
- You must provide access to your current tracks online, for example, Spotify, itunes, Bandcamp etc.
- Evidence of existing music industry interest or support would be an advantage.
- Evidence and details of existing professional representation; management, agent or promoter that supports you, would be an advantage.
- You must be available to perform in Glasgow during the festival dates of Showcase Scotland 2022. These are likely to be between 26-30th January 2022, but due to the pandemic these dates are subject to change.
You can apply to us by email in writing or by an alternative method such as a video or voice recorded application.
Please describe your work and to what extent you consider it to be appropriate for Showcase Scotland and Celtic Connections. (150 words maximum)
Please provide information about your most current work.
Please provide details of recent performances, both in the UK and/or internationally and links to any press reviews. We fully understand that the current pandemic has suspended activity in 2020/21, so we are interested in work from 2019/20, as well as your future potential.
Please provide links to your website and/or your social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, instagram). Please provide an Electronic Press Pack if you have one, or images and any live video footage of your work.
Please email your submission to email@example.com – subject ‘Showcase Scotland 2022’ by 5.00pm on 31st May 2021.
We will send you an acknowledgement that your application has been received.
If you would like to apply for this opportunity but aren’t sure if it’s right for you, or have any other questions, please contact Judith Musker Turner Judith.firstname.lastname@example.org for an informal chat.